2D Roughing from Stock Model

Asking those more experienced with this software for help. I’m looking for a better way/less air cutting way to rough an inside pocket using my current stock. See below the transparent stock vs my part.

The only way to rough and finish out these 2 areas is what I have shown below. It has a lot of wasted air cutting. I’ve tried advanced 3D tool paths too. All I can find with Rest Material is to define the previous cutter used, not the previous tool path or current stock or a stock model.

Maybe I’m missing a way to do this better, so I’m looking for help. Past software that I have used would allow me to only cut where there is material using multiple strategies.

Thanks for any help,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Have you tried using "Operation Stock " in Advanced Roughing strategy. So first you will need to create a solid of the stock you want to use, then thru the Operation Stock dialog box you can select that model as your operation stock.

operation stock

Hope that helps.

David.

1 Like

No, I haven’t tried that. Still new to this software and learning. I’ll give that a try. Thank you for the response.

Pete

Hello Pete,

If the cut is a vertical wall you can use an advanced pocket to get rid of the air cuts. You will need to define the inside geometry of the pocket as a dashed line of any kind and set the type of pocket to an advanced pocket on the patterns page. I have also made a video on this topic that is on the BobCAD YouTube page it’s for a normal external open pocket, but it’s done the same way. You will have to have at least 3 Axis standard on your license to do it this way. Hope this helps you out.
adv_inside_pocket

1 Like