BobCAD Running Slow

Hey I’ve been using BobCAD to make 3D Models and I have been noticing that it has been running sluggish to do everything. The computer I am using is basically brand new and has 16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 card, and running windows 10. Is this normal or is there something I can do to speed up the software?

2 Likes

It is possible that the data being stored in the cad history tree is making the file “heavy”. What version are you running?

I am currently running Bobcad V32 and it is just a super simple part that I made with an extrude boss and extrude cut.

1 Like

Hi, William. It sounds like BobCAD is not using your dedicated graphics processor. I’ll go over the steps required to set up the GPU.

1. Right click on the desktop, and select the Nvidia control panel from the menu.
  2. Select manage 3d settings from the Nvidia control panel.
  3. Click the program settings.
  4. Click add.
  5. Find the version of BobCAD-CAM that you want to assign to the graphics processor, and click add selected program.
    ![AddSelectedProgram|606x500]
    (upload://fVEY0iG2W3MBp8Pp8obTLR7tpEp.png)
  6. Select use high performance Nvidia processor from the drop down menu.
  7. Under the specify the settings for this program settings, scroll down to OpenGL rendering GPU and from the drop down menu select your graphics processor and click apply.
6 Likes

I had the same issue with v30, with very similar laptop. I tried this and it worked perfect. Solved my issues. Thanks guys.

4 Likes

Reviving this old topic as it relates to my current issue. I tried what is suggested here and in a similar post about simulation. I am using complex solid CAD models of differentials in my programs. They are created from scanned data with file sizes around 45 MB. My BobCAD-CAM V35 file size is around 66 MB.

My issue is 1. When I go to simulate it takes about 5 minutes to generate the model before I can start to run the simulation. Second, is that when I am generating tool path in BobCAD-CAM if I want to edit say a 2D pocket and a Profile Finish it takes a minute or more to just open the edit window. Then if I want to edit the top of feature or bottom of feature it takes 2 minutes or more to open that box in the edit window.

I am running a Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3.0GHZ, 16 GB of RAM, Samsung SSD, and Nvidia Quadro P1000 not sure how much memory on the video card.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any ideas of what to try to improve this? It makes for a L O N G day waiting for the computer like the days of dial up internet. If it’s settings that are wrong, I can fix that. If it’s my equipment, then I will get that fixed as well.

Since we have to guess, i would zero in on “the models are from scanned data”…

Stl’s are pretty hard on cad apps. They can also have several non manifold errors…

The easiest thing to fix the performance is in 2 areas.

First in you current and default settings, there is a “display slider”… and one other. If you turn those down for the file, you should see immediate improvement. Basically letting bobcad make the display you are looking at more of a coarse mesh angle…

If that helps but you need MORE, you can turn off “faces” and just view wireframe. Its been a long time and i dont remember where that is in the newer versions and am not at computer currently.

Let me know if you need more direction with “faces off”

Thanks, I tried this but it no impact on my Simulation issue. I’ve used other CAM software and never had this issue with much larger and more complex CAD files.

The simulation environment has display mesh angle settings also… you can try turning those down.

1 Like