Bobcad v34 adaptive milling feedrate issues

When adaptive milling using an advanced pocket strategy, I’ve noticed that after the tool cuts each pass, rather than lift and rapid to the start of the next pass, it feeds at 700IPM. I cannot for the life of me change it to rapid as it should do. It is costly us considerable cycle time when only feeding at 700ipm versus rapid at 1400 ipm.

Anyone steer me in the right direction here? I’ve used Bobcad for several versions and many many years and this one I cannot figure out.

Later,
Russ

Hi Russ,

I am still on V33, but I think it should the same.

Maybe you have already checked the Advanced Feedrates page.
The Convert to Rapid to Feedrates should be unchecked and Link Feedrate also unchecked.

If you can show a screen shot of the toolpath your getting, so we can see what exactly your getting.

David.

What’s your Machine parameter’s set at?
right click on the Cam defaults…

The system is using the maximum cutting feedrate that is defined in your machine definition. This is done because rapid motion on most/some machines is NON interpolated motion. This means you get “Dog Leg” rapid moves which can cause part collisions if the parameters are not set perfect.

We decided to use maximum feedrates because this forces all machine tools to interpolate the motion the exact same way, not only on the machine but also it exactly will match our simulation and toolpath display in the CAD window.

If the 700upm feedrate is not the maximum your machine can actually move at then you need to go into the CAM Defaults>Current Settings>Machine Parameters page - Machine Parameters section - Maximum Cutting Feedrate and adjust that value up to your machine’s maximum value

Hope this helps to understand what is happening, and more importantly “why” it’s done this way for you.