Generate STL file for job when posting

In our system when the CNC opens the BobCAD-CAM generated NC (g-code) if the same file with extension STL is available it is automatically loaded in the 3D environment as a model of the toolpath, so you can view the toolpath and resulting solid of work.

A moment to export the model STL is necessary to save the Bob-CAD as STL but this an odd procedure because recognized by CAD/CAM as a project file which then compares in file list,
and overall if I miss to back to original bcad file and I continue to add CAM operations at reopen the new STL project named don’t contains manufacture part so it Is important after a Save to close project and re-open the original bobcad file.

It Will be very interesting to have an STL body export function as File → Export As or yet better to have
a post-processor function to programmatically export it during the post-processor phase.

1 Like

Hello Shineworld,

Are you talking about saving out the model in simulation as an STL file?

If so, you can do this when loading a simulation if you go to the CutSim tab (See pic).

Also, if you have our NC Editor Pro Module, you can view the toolpath and model simulation in NC Editor to verify the g-code. NC Editor creates toolpath based on the G-code, where as the simulation in BobCAD just views the toolpath created inside of BobCAD and not the G-code.

I hope this makes sense!

1 Like

Wow never used NC Editor I will try.

Usually, I export the body used for CAM, not what created by Simulator, so end-user, during g-code program execution can see the toolpath and what is the final work made with it.

I’m also adding a just-before-start collision engine, so before to START the program in CNC the system can evaluate also collisions with custom cycles and tool-change movements that are unknown to any CAM or CAM simulator including body STL in the check.

However, also if the export of selected bodies as STL is not available I can always:

• Select and copy bodies to export.
  • Create a new empty project.
  • Paste bodies in the new project.
  • Save the new project as STL.
  • Close the new project.
  • Load the STL file in our CNC Control software.

To have an Export of Selected Body simplify only the required steps.

Thank you anyway for your support!

Ya, definitely check out NC Editor when you get the chance! You do need NC Editor Pro, but you will see a section called, “Simulate” inside of NC Editor. This is where you can simulate based on G-code.