How to load & run programs in a Bed Mill with a Fanuc MO controller

I wanted to share this link for those that are new to Gcode programing and understanding what all the codes mean and how they work. This book is very valuable, especially for Fanuc style code.

https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473

HTH

Alex

1 Like

@metal2cut

• do you have a working G-codes for your machine
  • can you do your entire workflow with single g-codes running one after the other?

bye, Harald

1 Like

Harald, I would not be able to say with confidence that I do, because I have only gotten to through the very beginning of the programs. The mill has run programs (need to quality, simple easy program), but not after the new diagnostic up-date. The modified PP you sent (the 2nd one that allowed tool change) seemed to work, all axis moved in a simple program like I have been working with. I may reach out to the machine builder with this issue.

Thanks!

@metal2cut: that was not the question.

You want to make a product. So you need to know the individual steps to achieve your goal.
You want to make the product with a milling machine. So you need to know the individual steps you want the machine to perform to get the piece of your dreams. For that to work, you plan the machining work steps like:

1. mill facing with tool d=10mm
  2. do contour milling with same tool
  3. drilling holes with drill tool d=5mm
  4. make pockets first roughing with tool d=6mm
  5. make finish with tool d=4mm

So as you have BobCAM, you can build all those operations. But as you do not have the proper PP you cannot generate the G-Code also. So take a PP that is closed usable. For each operation generate a separate G-Code file. Load each one step by step into you machine and check, if it runs the way it should. If you come to a problem, direct fix it in the G-Code (using Alex book reference will sure help).

If then all G-Code files work as expected, put them together in one G-Code file. Between each G-Code section add those operation you want the machine to do automatically for you (= replace your manual tasks done before between each G-Code file).

If the whole G-Code is doing like you want, let BobCAM generate a single G-Code file and check the difference to your hand written G-Code. Then you can figure out the differences and adapt the PP to work the way you need it.

Good luck, Harald

1 Like

Not seeing any reference to a Tool # in your G Code, I used to own an old Bridgport 412 3 axis mill that used Fanuc 0M-F and I always needed to “call” the tool # in the code in order for the Fanuc to look for and execute the G43 Z** H** line of code, if you have set your “speeder” as tool #1 then to call the H1 you need the T1 in the code.
That worked for me OK years ago and my Fanuc was 0M-F, check what version of Fanuc your machine has as the Parameters may not be set correctly to allow the G Code to run as you are trying to use it.
May help, may not, it worked here.

1 Like

I would start by looking at the beginning of the diagnostics page. Most Fanuc controls made in the last 20 years start the diagnostics with, “Why am I not moving?” If you press SYSTEM until the parameters are shown, the diagnostics tab should be immediately after the parameters. The first few diagnostic items should have values of 0 or 1. They will be things like Feedrate 0%, waiting for interlock, waiting for FIN, axis not enabled (servo off), etc. Hopefully, that will give you a clue as to why you are not moving. Do you know what model 0 you have? Is it a 0C, 0D, 0i, etc.? If it is a 0i, there should be an extension on that as well such as 0iD, 0iF.

1 Like

hey
why is the G17 so late in the program
I have that in the same line with G43 etc should be modal but…

MillingGuy (Harald), Many thanks for your help!
general, From what I have read & seen about “parameters” and “diagnostic” areas of the controller, the ability to have 2 mills in the shop, with the exact same model of controller on each, and they possibly could have some significant differences in how they operate. It only takes 1 of those “bits” to be a “0” vs. a “1” to make a change.
Cabinetmaker, I started with the manuals that came with the mill, only to find that there was an up-dated list of “diagnostic” data that matched the “parameters” that I only found out recently by reaching out to the machine builder. The machine builder I have been working with, has been excellent, and I pray we will prevail, and the mill will accept g-code properly soon.

Just a short note about the direction how things are going, The machine builder has help enormously, starting with those fussy “diagnostic” settings.

We are working on the ATC to make it function completely proper with the correct setting on the Z axis location in “diagnostic” to confirm X20.6 is a 1 when in MDI keyed in; G91G30Z0.; that the head stops to make the “1” confirmed, at the location (+ - z) to accept toolholder from tool changer. Apparently, it’s necessary for the ATC functioning properly, so not having an error starting with the ATC. This is where I am at, just moved the “switch dog” to set that.
As for a Post processor, the machine tool builder told me, this mill can be used to “broach” using the “Z” axis, and my hope is there may be an existing PP to use.

Many, many thanks!!

[Solved] This was solved by starting with the machine builder and get the current MATCHING (this is critical) parameters, diagnostic & ATC macro all need to match. This will allow all to work properly together! Many thanks!!