How to load & run programs in a Bed Mill with a Fanuc MO controller

Greetings, I am in the process of learning to load & run programs in a 3axis Bed Mill with a Fanuc MO controller. I have had a 2axis CNC knee mill for several years. With this Fanuc I am using a post processor from “MillingGuy” that allows a 220v bolt on hi-speed spindle (to replace the BT-40), with collet system (so no toolholders, will be used, “touch off” (required for Z axis) each time tool is changed) to be used.

Where I am at is the sample programs I am using will not run all the way until the end of the program. It will stop at line 05 G01 Z-.125 F 57.5. The mill green light will be on, but will not do anything.

How can I get to understand why or to know what the reason is or know what to look for, so when I get the real part I can know how to fix or what is the workaround is. What are the things to look for, my hope is to set a “template” up for each mill, so less confusion.

This is the sample program:

%
O0100
(PROGRAM NUMBER)
(PROGRAM NAME - O0900.NC)
(POST - FANUC 0M)
(DATE - WED. 07/12/2023)
(TIME - 11:25AM)

(FIRST MACHINE SETUP - Machine Setup - 1)

N01 G90 G80 G40 G20 G17

(Machine Setup - 1-Feature 2 Axis-Profile Finish)
(FEATURE 2 AXIS)

N02 G00 G90 G54 X4.3732 Y2.2453
N03 G43 H01 Z.525 M08
N04 Z0.
N05 G01 Z-.125 F57.5
N06 X-.0537 F115.
N07 Y.2296
N08 X1.07
N09 G17 G02 X3.2494 Y.2296 I1.0897 J-.0938
N10 G01 X4.3732
N11 Y2.2453
N12 G00 Z0.
N13 Z.525
N14 M09
N15 M05
N16 M30
%

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Is the Z axis manual or feed? I know we had an easy track bridgeport and when it saw a Z move it would pause. Have you tried pressing go again at that line? Possibly a built in safety feature when it sees a Z move?

1 Like

Thanks, The_mtbiking_viking, this is a full 3 axis mill (has ATC, will do ridget tapping, but don’t plan to use that), I run in “auto” mode. This does not have a quill for the spindle, like some toolroom mills have. Yes, pushed several times, no joy yet. I don’t know how to move this issue forward, to become informed.

Many thanks!

Hi @metal2cut,
try to play around with the G-Code on Line 5 or 4. What is the machine doing, if you remove the line at all, change values or remove some of them completely?
Bye, Harald

1 Like

MillingGuy, would the diagram shown below about how spindle is controlled, by M00 or by D490.4? Does anything related to D490 have to do with the ability to use the mill as I have described to you, for review, need a stop in program to change tool (and “touch off” to correct z axis, offset distance) for the finish cut and load & run a program without spindle sending single if up to correct RPM or not before feed will start?

Many thanks!!

Hi,
sorry, this all is to far away getting the right answer(s) for you. I am not aware with Fanuc or your spindle system.

But you can figure it out by yourself taking G- and M-codes you know/have for your spindle/machine and write a demo working G-code file by hand.

If your control unit support working G-Code step by step, than do so and see what the system is doing at each line.

Regards, Harald

1 Like

MillingGuy, many thanks!! This program is what finally would run until the end. Please take note that removed line 5, put (put line in here, so it will not run?) around the next 2 lines that it would stop at. I wonder how much of the geometry is lost.

MillingGuy, I am very greatful for your help, I would be glad to try to do what is necessary to make this work. Please suggest the best way to approach this and for all that may read this, let me describe what I think I need when finished.
I plan to use a sub-base to attach the uncut part blank to, each time; the sub-base is located in the vise by a stop; I will start with a larger tool 5/64" (.079", approx 2 mm diameter) and finish with a .7 mm or .032" diameter tool. The sub-base has a reamed hole off to the side of the part to use a dial indicator to locate this in relation to the machine position. This reamed hole has known distance to the center line of the part. I believe the x & y distance from “zero return” to the reamed hole is the distance to set G54 to. When I “touch off” (with the end of the end mill) I think this distance will be set to z axis in G54.

When I set up in BobCad v29 I will use the top of the material in “stock wizard” use thickness of material, .125". I see that “offsets” can be set up in BobCad associated to the way the “reamed hole” can be located in the software.
I will do what I can to get this, so I understand how to make this work.

Many thanks for the help!!

This is the program that will run:
%
O0904
(PROGRAM NUMBER)
(PROGRAM NAME - O0904.NC)
(POST - FANUC 0M)
(DATE - WED. 07/12/2023)
(TIME - 11:25AM)

N01 G90 G80 G40 G20 G17

(FEATURE 2 AXIS)

N02 G00 G90 G54 X4.3732 Y2.2453
N03 G43 H01 Z.525 M08
N04 Z0.
N06 X-.0537 F115.
N07 Y.2296
N08 X1.07
(N09 G17 G02 X3.2494 Y.2296 I1.0897 J-.0938)
(N10 G01 X4.3732)
N11 Y2.2453
N12 G00 Z0.
N13 Z.525
N14 M09
N15 M05
N16 M30
%
Thanks!!

Hi metal2cut,

This maybe be a silly question, but is your machine able to feed at F115. ?

David.

MillingGuy, what is the program name, or where do I get a copy to download? Many thanks!

Edit: Many thanks to MillingGuy, for the current post processor, I am thinking about editing it. I see a few YouTube in the search on how to create post processors.

If there is a secret handshake required, please advise me of it, so I will be welcomed.

Any suggestions are welcomed, many thanks!

Hi @metal2cut,
sorry, I do not know, how I can help you further…
It’s getting too much for me, especially there seems to be some ambiguity in several places. And which program name or download should I give to you?
Harald

1 Like

Harald, the MillingGuy, many thanks!! You talk of “ambiguity in several places” sound like politics. I have 3 post processors that I am looking at, with the same part’s g-code saved from the 3 different Post processor, as to see and understand some of what controls what. 1 post processors is from you, the other are from my copy of BobCad, the generic 3 axis mill (BC 3X MILL) and the Fanuc (Fanuc OM BCPst) 3 axis mill.
What I also see is the only areas I need to look at is the very beginning, line 1 to line 15 and from line200 to 708. Not having pondered this just a few moments, it really appears the line 1 to line 15 are the most important. If you know, the only area I need to look at are from line ?? to line ??, this would give some me some confidence, w/o studying the whole post processor.
Use a text editor or Preditor Editor to make the changes and save .BCPst file, correct??
I will first try to run each program to see how far I get in the sample program.
Many, thanks, anything you or others can suggest is most appreciated!

I am praying that someone with knowledge about Post Processors will share just a small bit, please. Attached is a screenshot with the same sample program in all the examples. If you read across the top of each program is the name. Each has been saved using a different post processor, the post processor (from now on PP) is in each of the programs, but because limited to a few spaces to label what PP is being used this is the way there were saved: 0300 & 0500 used modified Fanuc MO; 200 & 400 used standard Fanuc MO; and 0100 used the Generic 3 axis mill.

You can tell the difference between the modified Fanuc MO and standard Fanuc MO by looking at line 17, and read the difference in 0100 and all the rest.

The Generic 3 axis mill 0100 program would not run.
The modified Fanuc MO 0300 & 0500 ran until line N05.
The standard Fanuc MO 0200 & 0400 would not run.

The sample part has a circular cut-out on 1 side of a rectangle. I do not believe it is recognizing this, I believe it goes to the next block in the program. If you push start more times it does nothing, the only way out is “reset”.

What am I looking for? I have had the PP open in a text editor, I am not shore if I will be allowed to save if I edit it, may need to use Predator Editor to save file.

Many thanks!

Metal to cut,
I am with David on this, It seems like 115 is an impossible feed rate in my experience.
Change the decimal to 11.5 and see what happens . If your calling a feed speed faster than the table rapid then it will probably just lock up. Steve

1 Like

Airnuts, the program below is what I just tried, it will stop online N05. You see the feed is slow, unless I have not followed your suggestion.

"%
O0501
(PROGRAM NUMBER)
(PROGRAM NAME - TEMPFANUC01A.NC)
(POST - FANUC 0M)
(DATE - FRI. 07/14/2023)
(TIME - 09:30AM)

N01 G90 G80 G40 G20 G17

(FEATURE 2 AXIS)

N02 G00 G90 G54 X4.2169 Y2.089
N03 G43 H01 Z.525 M08
N04 Z0.
N05 G01 Z-.125 F2.23148
N06 X.1025 F4.46296
N07 Y.3859
N08 X.935
N09 G17 G02 X3.3845 Y.3859 I1.2247 J-.25
N10 G01 X4.2169
N11 Y2.089
N12 G00 Z0.
N13 Z.525
N14 M09
N15 M05
N16 M30
%
"

Many thanks!!

Hi,

1. PP files are pure text files. Even if the file extension is BCPst (BobCamPost), they are pure text files.
    Text files can be opened, edited and saved with text editor programs. Regardless which editor you use, the saved content will always be the same as editors just save the text as it is. If an editor supports syntax highlighting (different text colors, font style) this is just a help for better visualization.
    So yes, you @metal2cut can save the file with your editor, do not need Predator Editor, but can also use it, if you like.
    And regardless which editor you use: if you save the PP file, BC will use this already on the next ‘Post’ or ‘Post & Save As’ action to generate the G-Code file.
  2. why don’t you follow my suggestion to edit/play around with G- and M-codes. You can do it even with your not working g-code? Just use a text editor as G-Code also is just plain text. Make your desired changes, save it, load the G-Code into your system and check how it behaves. Do this over and over again making small changes until you figure out, where the problem is. Then you can go for the PP to correct it.

When the chaos is sorted out, further help can be given.
Bye, Harald

1 Like

Hello Metal2Cut,

As Harold has pointed out the post processor files (.bcpst) are just ASCII text files. The only precaution when modifying them is to not use a document editor like “MS Word” as it will add formatting to the file which will not make it work. We recommend “Predator”, Notepad, or Notepad ++(Free editor).

For the post processor modifications. Really it needs to be determine exactly what the issue is first. It is not efficient to trouble shoot a machine run issue by modifying the post processor itself. It is best to modify the Gcode program by hand, and then once the problem is recognized and the solution found, the post can be modified to work in the necessary way.

There are many questions your thread has left out. Here are a few to help you along:

1. Does this machine have a tool changer?
  2. Do you have any NC programs that are stored in the machine that do run ok?

For learning more about post processor editing and modification you can utilize a few existing resources:
Link to Online Post Processor Help System - This includes some tutorials you can use to learn the basics of post modification. https://bobcad.com/components/webhelp/PostProcessorHelpSystemFiles/Welcome.html

LaunchPad Guided Post Learning - https://launchpad.bobcad.com/bundles/post-processor-machine-definition-bundle

Hope this helps (HTH)

Alex

1 Like

Harald, Many, many thanks!
This is how I have started, attached are 3 pages in 1 pic, of the 15 total that I believe show (in the red circle

) your edit “//n,t, “M06” under #2. Start of file standard” in the post processor (PP). Specifically, the “//” at the beginning of the line as to not be included/used in the PP. When you view pic the top shows (z clearance = .200") line #313 (to keep to 1 pic) I show this out of order. I want to control the variable in the BobCad software, so I set like the others to 0.0.

The changes I have made are as follows:
#204 from NO to Yes
#206 from NO to Yes
#313 from 0.200 to 0.0
#513 from NO to Yes

Should I attach the total 15 pages of PP, so it can be viewed?

These were changed 1 at a time, with a new program each time. Do I need to reboot the PC, if I edit the PP in the PC? I have original PP is saved on thumb drive.

I printed out the 15 pages, so I could write down the changes as I go. When I look at the lines you edited, I can see some connection, but I am not understanding what to look for in the currently stops on line 04. Even if you look at the line before, I don’t see anything obvious.

This is the most recent sample program, it stops on line 04:
"
%
O4445
(PROGRAM NUMBER)
(PROGRAM NAME - TEMPFANUC01A.NC)
(POST - FANUC 0M)
(DATE - SUN. 07/16/2023)
(TIME - 11:39AM)

N01 G90 G80 G40 G20 G17

(FEATURE 2 AXIS)

N02 G00 G90 G54 X4.2794 Y2.1515
N03 G43 H01 Z0. M08
N04 G01 X.04 F4.1253
N05 Y.3234
N06 X.9871
N07 G17 G02 X3.3323 Y.3234 I1.1726 J-.1875
N08 G01 X4.2794
N09 Y2.1515
N10 M09
N11 M05
N12 M30
%
"
There is a screen in BobCad, Data-Cam Tree Manager that allows x, y, & z work offset, clearance plane, it reads to me like you could use the G54 data in this area, but not both (G54 in the mill & this option). So currently only use G54 in the mill, but willing to try.

Many thanks, all suggestions welcomed!

Alex, just saw your suggestions, many thanks!
Yes there is a tool changer, umbrella type 20 position, but do not plan to use. I need the 220v hi-speed spindle attached to BT-40 spindle (with bolts, so no air required), this is a dedicated application.
When I acquired the mill, parameters were lost, no programs that I have found to work after parameters and diagnostic were re-installed. Prior to just recently the diagnostic data was outdated, and I was unaware, currently I have been in contact with the machine builder to insure all parameters and diagnostics are correct.

I will be following up on the tutorial links you attached, many thanks.

Hi @metal2cut,
you’re pretty resistant to suggestions, aren’t you?
Again: follow the recommendations that have now also been given to you by Alex: work directly on a (new or existing) G-code and make this run as you would like to have it. Then it is possible to focus PP tasks.

Bye, Harald

1 Like

Harald and Alex, many thanks.
When I read your suggestion about editing (as to remove the lines of the part program that will not work) the G-code of the part, that this is the process to developing a Post Processor that works, it did not sink in my brain, this is what I can offer. I am committed to finding a way to make this mill work, if it will only will do the profile and pocket with a ruffing tool and cut & finish tool and finish cut, with a way to set the next tool.
As to make shore, I get this correct, start with the sample program (set this sample program up to run the part in BobCad) use G54 on mill for “machine offset”, no tool length set, do not use tool length in BobCad, no tool offsets. I have read about the “debug” on Block 26, still got more to read, thanks.
The current sample program is only a profile 1 time around, without finish cut. Is it ok to start with just a simple profile vs. pocket, no drill cycle stuff?

When creating this sample program, use the standard Fanuc OM PP option and use this as the starting point?

I am very grateful for the help, all suggestions are welcomed, many thanks!