Losing User Created UCS when Saving File To Template

Hello All,

Recently I got a package of 21 parts, very simple machining, just the length of the part and hole locations were different. For the 3 operations I had to run I created a UCS for each op and use the UCS for the machine setup coordinates for each setup.

I saved the file as a template to use for the following parts. However, when I open the template file I don’t see the 3 UCS’s that I originally created, only the system UCS.

Is this normal or is there something I am missing ?

Thank you,
David.

Hello David,
From your description I am not sure what template you saved it as. There are several levels to store information in templates and re-use them without having to re-create from scratch.

If you saved the CAM job as template which can be done from CAM tree job context menu and select “Save as Job Template”, it will only save the CAM tree information. This includes your machining features, operations, tool crib, cutting conditions for the job etc.

If you saved the file as document template which you can do so from the backstage (File -> New -> Save Current Document as Template). The document template saved information has everything from the file (CAD geometry, Layers, CAM tree, UCS’, etc.) - very similar to saving a file as *.bbcd file. When you create a new document using the saved document template, the UCS, layer information will all be there.

Hope this info helps!

Hello Gokul,

Thank you for your reply.

I was doing the above save as template, and you are right, it did as you said.

However, I was deleting the geometry from the file, (since I will be bringing in new geometry), and then doing a (File -> New -> Save Current Document as Template) to make a template. The UCS’s that I created were lost with the geometry being deleted.
So, to be able to keep the created UCS’s, I will delete the geometry after I open the saved template and import the new geometry that I will be working with as needed.

Thank you.
David.

The above statement doesn’t work. When I delete the geometry after opening the saved template, the UCS’s that I created were deleted too. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Not sure what is going on here, but I guess I am back to re-creating the UCS’s.

David.

Hey David,
So was scratching my head from your response as i was not able to reproduce the problem first.

But apparently, if you do select all (ctrl+A in keyboard shortcut) and hit delete to get rid of all your geometry and save the template, UCS is going away too. Could you confirm that you were doing a select all to delete all your geometry before re-saving it as document template?

As a work-around, instead of doing a select all, could you try to window pick all geometry (while in selection mode, hold down your left mouse in the CAD graphics area and drag the mouse across all geometry) and delete all your unwanted geometry, save the file as template and open again to see if the UCS is still there?

1 Like

Hi Gokul,

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Yes I was doing the above way.

The work-around works good and the created UCS’s remain in the template.

Thank you for your help in sorting this out.

David.

No problem David, glad it helped. We will see if we can enhance select all and retain UCS on delete. Select all grabs all entities (points, lines, arcs, solids, dimensions, patterns, UCS, etc.) which with UCS you really dont see it in the UI or pickable.

2 Likes