Need Help with Advanced Toolpath Strategies for Complex Geometry in BobCAD-CAM V34

Hello there,

I have been working with this software for a few months now; primarily focusing on 3 axis milling operations; and I am currently facing challenges with more complex geometries. :blush:

I have a project that involves intricate surface machining with multiple curves and varying depths. I am struggling :pensive: to achieve a smooth finish and optimal toolpath efficiency. I have tried several of the built-in surface finishing strategies; but the results are inconsistent.

Can anyone suggest best practices or advanced techniques to improve surface finish and toolpath precision?

I am venturing into 4-axis and 5-axis machining. While the transition from 3-axis to multi-axis has been exciting, I am encountering difficulties in setting up and optimizing toolpaths for complex parts. Any tips on avoiding collisions; managing tool orientation; and ensuring efficient material removal would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested in creating custom tool libraries and optimizing post-processing for my specific machine setup. What are the recommended steps to ensure accurate toolpath translation and machine compatibility?

I want to improve my workflow for simulating and verifying toolpaths before actual machining. Are there any specific features in BobCAD-CAM V34 that I should leverage more effectively to avoid errors and enhance reliability?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. :innocent:

I always use advanced rough to rough most of the material. I always set my depth options and don’t let it automatically calculate. One thing is to click β€œN” on your keyboard and make sure the models surfaces are going outward. I have ran into this which has caused a struggle. It is important to remember that these toolpaths use the model so good model geometry is important. You also want to select the whole model and not just the faces you want to cut. Use boundaries and gouge checks to trim the path.

Another really useful feature is operation stock. You can run all the toolpath in simulation prior to the 3 axis path you want and in simulation export the stl of your simulation. You can then go into your 3x path and load that stl in the operation stock. This lets the software know what has already been cut and will trim the toolpath for you.

Hope this helps

Hi @samzyann

What license level of the software do you have ?

For good finish, the 3 Axis Premium level has good toolpath options for more complex surfaces.