Reverse Engineering Using old .nc files

Just wondering if it Is possible to load old .nc files into Bobcad-cam and use the toolpaths to create a solid model? The .nc codes are from years ago and made by someone i do not know. They were not created using bobcad software.

TheGreyOutlaw. At this time, Bobcad does not offer the capability of reverse engineering. This is something that can put in for a feature request for our development department. But, at this time. we do not have that. Thanks for the question.

Thanks for the quick reply DHM. I doubt most customers would use such a feature but would be amazing to see it added in future versions.

2 Likes

Hey TheGreyOutlaw, Darren and I discussed this topic with the development team and found out that NC Editor Pro is already capable of performing this function in the software. The G code file can be brought into NC Editor Pro and after the user builds the job setup with all tools, stock, work offset information in the job setup dialog box they can then simulate out the G code. After simulation there is an option under save to “save the stock” as an STL mesh file.

3 Likes

Insert mind blown gif here
Now we are cookin’ with peanut oil!
Ill try one out right now!

1 Like

well ill admit when i am over my head. would probably need a remote session with someone to walk me through this. I have never used nc editor pro

1 Like

Have any of our guys here talked to you about some training options? It wouldn’t be a bad idea at all to go over this stuff with a trainer. We can tailor the training to exactly what you’re looking for while using your parts… I’m curious to hear your feedback on that.

Not really no. I took the three day course for V30 about 3 years ago now and that’s it. I try to find videos for specific issues that i run into. I hardly get enough time to play with this software between the few days a year i need it for work and being a family man. lol

That makes sense. I’d be interested in connecting with you via phone next week about some of our options. We have options that are free and then some stuff that you pay for, we’re quite flexible and it would be an awesome idea to hear your options in case you need them down the line. If not, no problem and no hard feelings - just want to offer help where it’s needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much appreciated and sounds like a plan! Ill check back in on Monday and figure out a time. Training is always a good thing.

back in V-21 you could pull your code program lines into your cad. Might be something to look into.

Hey Eric,

There is a feature in V33 to Convert toolpath into CAD geometry through the “Edit Toolpath” command located when right-clicking an operation if this is what you are referring to.

1 Like