Run Rough Finish Operations together per Geometry

Hi All,

I think this would be important to have and easy to implement.

Feature Request - Run Rough Finish Operation together per Geometry for a multiple geometry feature.

I had this scenario where I was milling a number of pockets that were 3" deep. I was Pocketing to rough them out, then Pocket to Finish the floor and a 2D Profile to finish the walls.
The issue I ran into was that chips packed into the roughed out pockets during the roughing operation and when it came time to run the pocket finish floor and 2d profile operation, the chips in the pockets would cause problems.

So as a feature request , have an option to run selected operations together per geometry instead of going thru the geometry running each op. This is assuming you are using the same tool for the operations.

Thank you.
David.

2 Likes

For Toolpath Patterns feature, would be good to have this option also.

Hello David,

Maybe I am not fully understanding the request. There are many different ways that you can pocket out the part.

You could use the Pocket Out Cut Pattern to pocket from the inside outward and set the Side Allowance to 0 to go all the way to the wall.

You can use the Parallel Pattern with “Advanced Pocket” enabled to add a “Final Contour” to add a final Profile pass after the Parallel Pattern is executed.

Or, you can try any of the other Cut Patterns (Like Morph Spiral) and set the Side Allowance to 0 to have this all happen within one Pocket Operation.

Do any of these scenarios work for you or is there something more specific that you are looking for?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for looking at this and for your response.

Specifically what I was looking for is to run the operations for 2D Pocketing and Profiles per geometry for multi geometry features. Not only does it help in the situation in my original post but safe machine travel for long parts. (I do realize you can change sequence of operations) . I think it would be a good option to be able to complete rough and finish operations of pockets and profiles/ 2d contours as you go along.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, in the pocket out to 0, that may leave a rough finish on the walls. Deep rough pocketing with Parallel may not not the best for roughing. Usually I would go with Adaptive option, and then come back with a Finish pass on the floor with Pocket Out or Parallel and then 2D Profile on the walls, assuming I am using the same tool for all operations. In this case in a multi geometry feature, I could run the rough, finish floor and finish wall per geometry as it goes thru each selected geometry.

Thank you,
David.

1 Like

Hey David,

I believe I understand this request as you would like to sequence the operations essentially per chain (closed or open) that are all assigned to a single feature.

Would you want this to be an option at the feature level or essentially handled in the Machining Order where we would essentially need to create separate operations in the operation list by how many geometry chains?

I personally see this as turning a single feature (with one or many operations) into multiple operations by splitting by feature chain. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Hi Greg,

That is what I was thinking.

I think at the Feature level would be best, as an option or check box. However, if I had a deburr operation on those pockets or profiles chains, I would want that separated / unconnected to avoid the tool changes per chain.

Putting it with the Machining Order may make that page a bit busy if you had many chains in a feature, unless there is a grouping option in the new operations tree.

Thank you
David.