Who has a 3d Printer?

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to make this post to gauge how many people have a 3d printer that they actively use in their shop.

If so, what splicing software do you use and what type of printer is it? Do you use BobCAD to create models and then save out as a STL model or some other CAD software?

I personally use the CAD in BobCAD to create my parts, save out the model when finished as a STL file and load into Cura (My Splicing Software). I have a Bibo Touch 2 as my 3d Printer.

I am using a Dremel 3D20 printer and I am very impressed with the results that I can get from such a cheap printer which I bought second hand for £200 ($280).

I design parts in a variety of 3D CAD packages including BobCad, MOI and Solidedge, I then export as an STL and carry out 3D print programming in Simplify 3D, I find Simplify 3D gives me a high degree of control for making some unusual parts with such a low cost printer.

In the photo’s below you will see the front nose of a pulse jet engine, a fuel tank for holding nitro model fuels and control arm parts for a radio control aircraft.

I mostly use filaments from Protopasta although the rubber bung in the tank is made with a product from Ninjaflex.

2 Likes

That’s very cool! Thanks for the reply. Those are some great looking parts.

I have heard of Simplify 3D before. People say that it is definitely worth the money.

Also, I almost purchased that printer myself. I am glad everything is going well!

One of the problems in 3D printing is that it is quite popular for home/hobby work and people can be reluctant to pay for software.

Sometimes you have to pay for software to jump to the next level in terms of capability.

For example everything I had read said that the Dremel 3D20 was only capable of a minimum of 0.1mm layer heights, however I could see that it worked with G codes and I could recognise where it was moving the table and print head from my programming work with Bobcam.

I thought this machine does not know or care what Z level it is driven to, in Simplify3D I was able to programme with 0.05mm layers and use a kind of adaptive strategy with bigger layer heights in non critical areas.

I would not describe it as adaptive as we know from BobCam, rather different printing strategies were applied according to height.

I hope that Bobcam release a 3D print module, I would like to be able to use proper adaptive toolpath strategies.

Regards Barrie

Hello,
I started with Ultimaker (wooden one) and Cura. Next step was Airwolf HD2x and Leapfrog Creatr (XL) with Slicer Simplify3D. Also the first Formlabs STL-printer with its own slicer software was in use.
But then i dropped the topic of 3d printing. Too many providers and too little time for this fast 3d printer life. There are now enough 3d online stores that handle the job well. I don’t need to worry about how many times I have to print a part to get it to work.
Bye, Harald

I just got one last week…im going to print collet trays first…

1 Like

which slicer is for E3D for Tool Changer Slicing, I currently use Cura 4.6 for the TC primarily, mostly because I want to use the ironing option. It works ok, but has some quirks with respect to multi-material, is rather unwieldy in general, and is extremely sluggish at times. I’m more familiar with S3D 4.1, which I find logically structured (well… more or less), but support and development seem almost non-existent and version 5 has been elusive for a long time. I tried Slic3r/PruseSlicer a little, but haven’t really got the hang of it yet. And unfortunately, it looks like PathioXYZ has died in its infancy