Wire EDM 4 Axis issue in V34

So I seem to be having an issue with 4 axis programs in V34. The upper and lower profiles don’t seem to match up correctly anymore, even with sync lines. If I go back to programs that I made in V33 that looked perfect, remove and re-add sync lines, the resulting path is all over the place. Hopefully someone else who does wire and replicate this.

This is a really big problem for me right now as the majority of the stuff I do is 4 axis and this leaves me really stuck.

@bdevine Could you share with us your file so we can see what’s the issue?
You can direct message me the file if you do not want to share it here in public.

Thanks,
Gokul

022 V33.bbcd (279.9 KB) 022 V34.bbcd (322.3 KB)

Here I have the same part in different versions. It was originally done in V33, I opened it up in V34 and re-computed geometry and you get what you see here. This isn’t as bad as some others I’ve seen so far, the more entities there are the more it goes crazy. Either way it seems to be doing something differently.

One other thing also. When doing things that require to select points, such as selecting leads, or points to start a toolpath near, I used to be able to snap to line/radius ends/midpoints. I can no longer do that, I need to put down points beforehand, which is a big pain in the butt. Not sure if this is a setting that is turned off that I don’t know about, but would like to get this fixed too.

Thanks!

Edit: After uploading, noticing one file is something like 13% larger than the other with essentially no changes.

Hate to respond to myself, but I’m actually seeing quite a few small, weird bugs with V34. I think I might stick with V33 for now.

Hey @bdevine, Thanks for sharing the files. We are looking into why the upper & lower profile is not matching as well as the snap point picking issue. Taking up this task on high priority!

Would you mind sharing other little issues that you mentioned you are facing with in V34. We already might have fixed some of them in our weekly reviews.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Gokul

Just wondering if you are getting the same results for the 4 axis on your end? Then at least I’ll know I’m not totally crazy.

Couple other things that have happened, though no idea how to reproduce.

Posted a Wire program, and it looked like everything was scaled down to metric. I have a 1.00" thickness in the program and the header was saying it was .0394", my offsets were somewhere around .0003", etc. This stopped when I restarted the software.

Again in a WIre program, was creating a 5 pass cut on multiple pockets. Went to look at the cutting conditions, and instead of just listing the 5 cuts with power settings/offsets, it had what looked like 25 passes in there, I can only assume it was creating 5 passes for each chain I had picked. This again stopped when I restarted software.

And one other, though I admit this could be me getting mixed up with the different versions. I have the directory set to where BobCAD saves new posts as a different one than the default directory. However I’ve noticed that it seems like it will randomly save it back in the default directory in the BobCAD Data folder.

That’s all I can think of at the moment, thanks for the response.

Yeah i can definitely see the toolpath issue at my end too. Not sure what caused the issue at the moment. , we will look into it.

• Posted a Wire program, and it looked like everything was scaled down to metric.

For the posted code coordinates showing in metric occasionally, we have fixed this issue already and fix will be available in the coming V34 SP1. For the moment, you can do this to work around the problem. Open the post you are using by expanding the machine for the job and selecting the post and open it in notepad or notepad++ whichever text editor you are using.

Scroll down in your post processor to post question number 213. and change the value from E after “?” to S and save the post, close the file and then post the code.
What you are doing here is essentially asking the post processor to use the system unit set in your bbcd file which you can see in the status bar down at the right bottom.
This way the posted code will be using the same unit in the bbcd file.

• Again in a WIre program, was creating a 5 pass cut on multiple pockets.

Not aware of the 5 cuts looking like 25 passes, some more info on this issue will be helpful

• I have the directory set to where BobCAD saves new posts as a different one than the default directory

I am confused a bit when you say “saves new posts” - are you talking about the nc file (.nc) or the actual post processor itself (.EDMPST). If you look at your job current settings, you will see the filepath where the posts are and the nc filepath is where the nc files gets saved to. Like i have shown in this screenshot below which is from the job level current settings, the filepath displayed there is where the nc files gets saved automatically. This is typically in your BoBCAD Vxx data folder → NC → Wire EDM folder

if you want to change the default filepath, you must do so from the CAM defaults, select your machine and set the right filepath there.

Changing the path at job level will only affect the particular job, while changing from CAM defaults current settings will save the filepath with the machine itself, so every time you create a new job using that machine, nc files will be saved there

I made the change in the post processor as you suggested and will see how that goes.

As for the multiple pass issue, I’m referring to this page.

Normally, even if you are cutting multiple chains, it looks like this, and applies the same settings to all the toolpaths. There was one instance where I went into this page, and it looked like there were 5 sets of 5 passes, almost like it was showing each individual pass on each toolpath. Hopefully that makes sense. It hasn’t happened since a restart of the software, but wanted to make you aware of it.

As for the posting, yes, I was referring to where BobCAD saves the new .NC file when you hit the post button. I have it set to a different directory in the CAM defaults, but I noticed sometimes it seemed to save the .NC file in the original default directory. I thought it was doing it with newly created files, but I was doing many things at once, so it very well could have been an older file and still had .NC path as the original.