Stock Orientation: why possible to change x- and y-Origin

Hi everybody,

I have been wondering for some time why it is possible or even makes sense to set the x- and y-Origin within the Stock Orientation.

for below given situation…

the Stock Wizard starts with…

… which is very nice.

As the rectangle defines the material available you would perhaps do a Pick in Geometry Option, select the rectangle and hit “Calculate Stock”.

Note: if you do not want to loose the height and get off the to set z-parameters manually, you would also select the objects. This leads to a larger list of selected elements, which makes me always nervous

Adjusting the z-Dimension/Offset and z-Origin and all is well (or let do it the system with selecting the solids, too :wink: ).

I cannot get the point, why it is possible or why I should change the x- and y-Origin, as it will only move the stock to a wrong place.

Also “funny”: usage of Stock Type = Wireframe the gnomon is not in the center, which somehow contradicts to Stock Type = Rectangle.

So this topic is just to get the things understood :wink:

Bye, Harald

Hi Harald,

Personally I rather use a Created UCS for my stock orientation / operation set up. That way you can easily get to Top view of the setup you are working on, or front view, side view for visual benefits of tool depth, etc. For that reason I never use the Stock Orientation Coordinate System, except to align the stock with the UCS I am going to use. I also make use of the Keep Bounding Geometry feature, for box of the part and also for the material box. But everyone has there own preferred way of getting the part made.

You can see the double gnomon

The Keep Bounding Geometry feature is good, I only wish it was a CAD feature as I stated in a previous Feature Request.

Thanks.